Wednesday 1 April 2020

The Hinge Problem Is Solved



And I am very pleased with it. Do click on this photo, to see it full-screen; this will allow you to see the details.

I replaced my hinges with heavy strap hinges and plates. with lots of sturdy rivets in them. As file folder card (manila especially) is thin but strong, I used that for the hinges. They are actually set into the door post. That involved drilling with my pin vise and then reaming out the excess wood. For glue, I used the tacky and superglue method, which seems to be working well. The tiny rivets are 1/16" punch-outs in thinner card that the stuff used for the other doorway.

The lock is a miniature copy of an actual medieval lock; all it needs is to have the hasp sealed and then painted. As it takes at least an hour for the superglue and tacky combination to dry to my own personal satisfaction, I'll do that after dinner. It's made of wood, cardboard, wire and thread.



The candy shop now has a marble counter. I ended up using brown paper to do the final sanding coats with, as everything just scraped off the paint. It is not "expensive" marble, and it is a satin finish because it is old and well-used. The veining was done with both paint and ordinary pencil, with a final wash of white to blend everything. Next for this project is the false ceiling to hold the fittings for the eventual light I intend to install.

3 comments:

  1. The gate is wonderful and ingenious! And I love the marble counter top! Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that gate is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you both! I am very pleased with it. Right now, I am in the throes of building and decorating four pillars with bases for my mine passage. So far, so good!

      Delete