Monday 20 April 2020

Lavender in a Weathered Pot



I am so pleased with this new technique! It is an amalgamation of several lavender tutorials I checked out yesterday. The foliage is, of course, lycopodium; there is as yet no artificial substitute for this. It does, with time, deteriorate somewhat. The pot is a repainted resin miniature, aged and mossed and with some algae added to it.

For the lavender blossoms, I used a slightly coarse white sand, and glued and shaped it to the tip of the wires. The sand was then painted in grey-green, the same colour used for the stems and the foliage. Once that was thoroughly dry, I dry-brushed it with lavender paint right out of the bottle. I let that dry for an hour or so, then used a nearly completely dry brush with purple paint and just stroked it on. Do enlarge the photo, I think this will be my go-to method for now for lavender!

This pot will sit on a short plinth, still to be made. It will also be aged, as if it has been in the garden for many years. At my Real Life house, there is a lavender bush outside my front door, more than 25 years old. We almost lost it a couple of winters ago, but aggressive pruning had brought it back to life. It is still under snow and leaf mulch right now, but I hope to uncover it in a couple of weeks. We are not frost-free in my neck of the woods until the end of May.

The foliage wasn't grey enough for my tastes, so after it dried I dry-brushed it with light grey paint, just on the tips; this gave it more of an effect of powdery grey. Another trick learned!


4 comments:

  1. You have come upon a great technique for making lavender. I hope you are able to uncover your real plant soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your amalgamation of lavender tutorials has served you Very Well! The flowers look authentic and the entire composition including your aged pot, is Gorgeous!
    I have several plants in my garden too and I'm alway relieved to see it putting out new growth each year because the bees Adore It!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Lavender looks great! The colors look very realistic, just the right amount.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to look, and for your kind comments. I found another (unpainted) flower pot like this one, and will make a second piece like it - I'll keep my prototype!

      Delete