Thursday 2 April 2020

Pillar Bases Are Constructed - And a Confession....



At 10 a.m. this morning, this is what my work area looked like. It snowed again yesterday, with some of the biggest flakes, or rather clumps, I have ever experienced. April Fool's from the weather, I guess!

I discovered that my walls were too long for the space in the bookshelf; I hadn't allowed for the outer layer of cardboard or the cloth I hope to stretch over it all. Long-time readers of this blog will know that I am straight-line challenged. (So apparently is my younger daughter!) So displacement activity, also know as "clearing your workspace", occurred during the rest of the morning. In the process, I discovered a really good razor knife I forgot I had, and it helped me over the fear hump of cutting 3/8" or 1 cm off the front edges of the walls, floor and ceiling. It worked! The edges are nice and smooth, just as I had dared to hope.



After the clean-up, I can actually work on the table again. The pieces I cut off the front edges of the box were recycled - part of the idea behind this challenge - as the upper pillars for the mine passage. They need to be trimmed to size, covered in card, and "carved".



The bases of the pillars are made of foam board with layers of cereal box cardboard "carving". If you
click on this photo, you may be able to see the three layers of carving, with a raised strip running down the middle. This project recycles, right? The strips are the folds of the cereal box, and I have saved a couple more of these to use on the narrower upper pillars, and the border of the area with the carved panels. Before I hit the bed, I'll harden off the cardboard with sealer, then tomorrow I can do the black base coat.

The blank space will hold a "carved" panel, with a border strip along the faint indentation visible on the wall above the gate frame - I hope! This whole project is growing as I go along....

5 comments:

  1. Your iron gate fits perfectly into its frame and the pillars are looking good too! And I hear you about the weather: here in Vancouver we got about 15 minutes of snow and then sunshine!
    So Weird that the plants don't know whether to come or grow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a large mountain ash outside the house, full of berries even after the winter. As of yesterday morning, there isn't a berry to be seen! A small flock of robins has cleared everything out - a sign of a weird spring. What are they eating now, I wonder? There aren't any worms or bugs yet here.

      Delete
  2. Wow! That's really looking good! I feel your pain with the straight line challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy that you were rewarded straightening up with the perfect tool to give you confidence and help you cut straight pieces! That is always so encouraging! You're progressing wonderfully! I am okay with it still being so cold here as each day, in spite of rain, the sun comes out for a few moments with a promise that one day, maybe in May, a fully sunny day will come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am starting to think about how to do the carved panels. Will I have enough space to place the ornaments? Will the ornaments look out of place? Good thing I still have lots of packaging cardboard....

      Delete