Sunday 26 April 2020

What Happens When You Surf the BLogs

This post is geared towards those readers who also check in on the Dutch blog, Huis ter Swinnendael. I stumbled across it just minutes ago, and was surprised to see the little painted bench in the most recent blog entry. I own perhaps half a dozen copies of the magazine, Dolls House Nederland, bought second-hand along with some other Dutch magazines, as well as a few copies I picked up in person at the Arnhem Show, and I treasure them.



In the June 2010 issue of Dolls House Nederland, I found the tutorial for this bench, fell in love with it and made my own version for my Provencal Scent Shop, a Camp MiniHaHa project from some years ago. The bench sits outside its ochre wall, with a zinc planter filled with lavender on its top. The bench is dated 2013 - I date most of my projects.



Huibrecht's experience with Rika echoes my own; some years ago, two friends and I went to the Arnhem Show; one Dutch Canadian (me), one American Canadian (my mini friend Debbie P.) and one English miniaturist (Anne B.) We couldn't navigate our way through pre-payment for the tickets, so one of the staffers offered to deliver them to us, on arrival, at our hotel. It turned out to be one of the senior staff of the magazine, who stayed and chatted with us for nearly an hour. A very warm welcome to the show, indeed! I have always appreciated their kindness to three travelers from away.

Ten or more years ago, the magazine ran a series of articles on constructing The Rembrandt House, with articles running for years, offering furnishings for it, as well as period accessories, that readers could make for themselves. They also ran an earlier series of articles  titled The Medieval Project, done as a series of free-standing  projects that were placed together to form a whole,  and I would sell my right arm to own all the instructions for both; I just have parts, but they are such tempting parts!

In the meantime, there was an article in that June issue of DHN for making a plant, "koraalmosje"; it is small with orange flowerets, and as I have the supplies for it, will make myself some.

I recognized some of your names in the Comments on Huibrecht's blog! We live in a very small world....

5 comments:

  1. Indeed, it is a small world. About 10 years ago I developed a passion for miniatures while renovating my daughters’ 1970s dollhouse and thought I was the only one doing such a thing. I went to the internet to search for materials and OMG! There are people with my same passion worldwide. I’m so glad to meet you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so funny how you think you're the only one and then you find out that 'no, there are a lot of us'. Funny and awesome. I love our crazy mini community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And finding your blog I find a post about my blog. :-) It is indeed a small world. And reading about you missing copies of DHN, I can help you retrieve copies of that magazine without having to sell your right arm!

    Just follow this link: https://dhnnu.powweb.com/edities.html
    They have placed all the copies of the magazine with tutorials and all on their site up to the december issue of 2017. So all the Rembrandthuis tutorials are now available and for free. So you can read up on all those issues at your leasure. I was very happy when i found this out, because I only started making and collecting mini's in 2017 And they were already finishing the last rooms on that project. The first 15 copies of the magazine are not available so the first tutorials about Palace het Loo are not available unfortunately. But there is so much more to discover. I spend over a week going through all of them and collecting workshops to make on a later date. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW. I almost forgot to say that I love your bench!

      Delete
    2. Zeer bedankt, Huibrecht! Ik zal proberen om de tutorials te vinden.

      Delete