Sunday 1 March 2020

I Really Have Been Working

Yes, I am still working away on my self-imposed project of finishing all those unfinished kits, some of which are so old that I can't always find the instructions. And along with finishing things, I am also repairing things that were broken. This takes time - the wonderful table below fell off my desk, with the result that all four legs broke off just below the apron of the table, at heir narrowest point, at least five or six years ago. I was able to glue them back, using the broken shapes to decide where they went, as well as the paintless spots that held the side braces and the shelf. That took from Wednesday to Saturday, one leg at a time, then the side supports, and then the shelf.



I think it was the paint job that I love about this - I am quite sure it was a Camp exchange gift from years ago, that had not yet found a home. It is crying out for a food prep scene.  Before it was repaired, it looked rather like the tea trolley below:



It fell in the same accident; we were moving a desk, and I forgot the hutch on it wasn't fastened down, so of course my favourite pieces fell to pieces. This is the coming week's repair project, which has to be done one leg at a time. There are tiny brass casters on each leg! This was also  Camp exchange gift, loaded with a teapot and some cakes.

Today's rehab project is a Tudor table, a carpenter's "second" I was given; four of the decorative spindles had dowel stubs on them, but two did not. I was too chicken to tackle it until this weekend, but I think I've found the solution; drill holes in the spindles, fill in the holes in the cubes and drill a hole, and use wire or fine dowel to hold the pieces together. The photo insists on coming up sideways, although it was just taken, which means you will have to wait until I sort this out to see a photo. The finished table will go into the Tudor Apothecary project.



This is a very early project! I have glued the legs on, as I now have a really good wood glue. This is a Recamier-type sofa, intended for one of my earliest projects, an artist's studio. His models are intended to pose on this. For the upholstery I need to find an old silk tie with a tiny pattern, that suggest the thing is at least a century old. The back will be glued on once it is upholstered. This photo came up right side up, I can't figure this out! (Oh yeah, the photos that worked were taken a day or two ago, while the two that refuse to come up were taken today; the batteries in my camera  died yesterday, and apparently something has gone awry with the installation of the new battery.)

The photo I just tried to load is of a book-shelf, in a plastic bag; it also comes out the wrong way up so no photo. It has been sanded, and is just waiting for me to slightly sand the rebates for the shelves and the back supports to fit. Tomorrow or Wednesday I hope to get to that. My box of unfinished kits is starting to look somewhat empty....

Yesss!

4 comments:

  1. Wow. Seems like you're doing a lot of problem solving with these mini projects. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's going to feel so good to have all of these pieces fixed and ready to be displayed again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Un gran trabajo de restauraciĆ³n!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marijke: I usually download the photos to my computer first where some of them appear to be sideways but when I put them into my blog they come in right side up. On the odd occasion when they come in sideways, I can use the program I open them in to turn them a quarter turn then re-upload them. I hope this works for you too. - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete