Friday 20 March 2020

We Are Housebound Now



A State of Emergency has been declared in our province, and no planes are flying from April 1 to April 30 - unless things change. Our daughter is preparing for the long haul, staying with Mom and Dad until things settle down. Her husband will celebrate his birthday alone, poor guy!

In the meantime, I am still working on minis; the piece above is a box I put together from mahogany, with a wax finish, and for size comparison I have included a glue cap....Yes, it is tiny, the lid is a friction fit, and I had to sand about 1/8" from the ends of the sides, as they were just a bit too big! It is a lovely little kit, and may end up in the Steam Punk Loft - unfinished as yet, of course. When you remove the lid, it makes a very satisfying little pop sound!

Also on the go are two pieces of "wicker", a miniature doll's bed and a cat bed. The first of these was purchased from an estate sale, and was missing 10 wires and both rockers. I found I had some similar gauge wire in my stash, and painted it white. Then I decided that the cat bed, which had quite heavy gauge wires, would be easier to do - read, less of a problem to drill properly - with smaller wires. So one has been started, and one is waiting. I'll make new rockers to fit the doll's bed, which came with a tiny rubber baby doll in a swaddling blanket. It will go into the toy shop.

While tidying up, I found some more minis, purchases and gifts from CMHH, and some of them are now on display in my wall hanger in the family room, where I can enjoy them daily and borrow from them if the right project comes along:



I picked this up second-hand somewhere, and since the cuckoo clock moved to Alberta, it has hung in its place. It's a great way to showcase some minis that I really love, but that have, as yet, no permanent home. The German saying on it roughly translates as, "Small Things Have Their Purpose Also - Anno 1879". It was probably part of one of those buy a mini a month things that were everywhere several decades ago.

I have begun a new little project, but need a cup of tea first. Stay well, please, everyone.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're all right so far. Stay safe and healthy and enjoy the 'little' things. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is lovely that you are making good use of the time that is now imposed on all of us and such good fortune that you have your daughter with you! The tiny box is such a great piece and the segregated wall display makes for a great way to enjoy things until you find a permanent home for them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that little box, Marijke. And the divided shelf unnit has given me an idea. I have a couple of different divided boxes that were used for a variety of teas. I think they would be great to display a few items. Thanks for the idea! - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! Perhaps you could use one of your tea boxes to make a tea room....

      Delete