Sunday 10 May 2020

It Snowed So I Worked

We had almost 30 cm of snow from Saturday morning over into the evening. At 10:20 p.m. last night, the power died; it came on a half hour ago,  around 6 p.m. the next day. I do not remember snow on Mother's Day, ever!

Warning! The photos are auto-messing up, standing on end and not allowing me to flip them.

 

Part of this paragraph just disappeared of its own accord! The computer is really being a nuisance lately. For my birthday last fall, I got the carcass of another room box, intended to become a model of a wooden shoe manufactory. We dug it out of the workshop yesterday, and I've begun to stain the windows and doors for the building. Unfortunately, part of a window broke off, so it is being reglued and is currently in clamps. The building has a working Dutch door, and half-round windows. It has a lot of interesting features in it, and should be an interesting build.



As I got up quite early this morning, I thought I might as well continue woodworking, so here are a painting table and bench for that "klompen makerij" setting, along with the beginnings of a bow saw that will hang on the wall. The blade is an old jeweller's saw blade, cut to fit. I rebated the components of the saw; as it is 4 mm thick wood that was just a bit tricky. Some wood filler helped fit the second version! There are more pieces to it, hopefully I can finish it tomorrow. The furniture needs another coat of stain to look dark enough, though. And then it needs paint spills all over it!

The barrow has its handles, and the base coat paint is drying. It needs a stand, also a job for tomorrow. Though my sore arm is better, I have to pace myself to avoid painful spells. So far, I am still using stuff from my stash or scrap bag. I need to find my better fancy toothpicks, as the saw blade needs knobs. The one I did find flew into another dimension as I cut it free from the pick. Oh well, the cat will probably find it one of these days!

5 comments:

  1. Something about dutch doors. I love them. So helpful and useful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SNOW?!? Oh dear. I'd be throwing a futile fit, although I know from experience that it has snowed in June after school got out in Montana when I was a kid. But no fair!!! Will you get much spring before summer???
    At least you have exciting and fun new projects to look forward to no matter what Mother Nature does outside. Have fun and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snow on Mother's day? - I had to do a double take on where in the world you are to have that make any sense at all LOLI surely hope some warmer weather finds you soon.
    This looks like it is going to be fun, and I look forward to following along. Your wee saw looks absolutely amazing - a wonderful hint of things to come.
    Anna X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in Canada, in the province New Brunswick, Anna. The weekend snow melted, except for a few patches; however, we got another light dusting of snow Tuesday into Wednesday. It is quite unusual, even for here! The last time it snowed here on Mother's Day was 1967.

      Delete
  4. Get back with Ex...


    Fix broken relationship/marriage..........


    His result is 100% guaranteed.


    (Robinsonbuckler11) gmail com,,


    Florida, United States

    ReplyDelete