Tuesday 26 May 2020

A New Chrysanthemum



I wanted to make a bronze-coloured mum, and this one uses three different shades of paper; brown in the centre, ochre in the middle and golden yellow on the bottom. I also tried a different leaf; for years, I've been using the leaf on the maroon mums, but I decided to try a very small oak leaf. I really like it, it makes the plant look dainty. Opinions?




So just for the heck of it, I decided to list the number of components in a 7-bloom, 3-blossom pot of miniature chrysanthemums like these. Each bloom consists of: a stem with the end dipped in glue and paint, nine petal punch-outs, a sepal punchie, and two leaf punchies. Two of the colours were hand-painted, while the ochre came from some wide quilling paper I purchased years ago. The leaf paper is also hand-painted. Then there are three blossoms, consisting of a dipped wire, and two punchies each, as well as two leaves and a sepal. To fill the pot out, there are seven stems of three leaves each, made of hand-painted paper. Every single punch-out was hand-shaped. The total for a pot of mums? More than 200 individual pieces!

I used to sell my mums at shows for $9.00 Canadian; that may have to change!

Now I have to find the instructions for a realistic potting table: a dirt-filled bin with a sliding tray, a space for trowels and the like, and a shelf below to hold the bags of soil and fertiliser. That means going through dozens and dozens of old  DHN magazines. Although I looked for an index, I couldn't find one. Hopefully, we can have another mini day tomorrow, perhaps even meet up in person again; we can get together in groups of 10 as long as we keep our social distances....

5 comments:

  1. Oh dear Marijke! Who knew miniature making was a dangerous hobby? I love the mums - especially the bronze ones. I think I like the small oak leaf better but they both look great to me. - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tempting to do both sizes of leaf on one plant to get the effect of it growing. I love them both but I think the smaller leaves suit it better.

    I say this having never seen a plant of mums in my life, so grain of salt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How have you avoided mums? They are everywhere, all year 'round here in North America and in Europe....

      Delete
  3. The colors are just lovely and each of the accurate details makes all the difference! Anyone who has ever made mini flowers from scratch or from kits (expensive) will appreciate the effort and be happy to pay $15! Good luck finding the article!

    ReplyDelete