Thursday 28 May 2020

Actual Potting Table, Down and Dirty



I saw this potting table in an old Dutch magazine, and decided Boutique Pulchinella needed one of these. This is not your elegant table, with flowerpots, books, gloves and such pretty things, but a rough wooden bin with double walls. In the bin you put the potting soil; the tray slides back and forth in the grooves, and can be lifted out to dump spilled soil back in the bin.

This is the sort of potting table you would find in a plant nursery setting, or on an estate that could afford to hire a team of gardeners. As wood is in short supply here, the whole thing was made of craft sticks from the $ store, with some scraps from the scrap pile.

I have to do some sanding, and then I will stain the whole thing, prior to painting the outside of it with cheap white paint, rubbed back to suggest use and wear. The inner section and the tray will be dirtied up, and I have to make a pile of soil to go into the bin. I also have to dig out a trowel to stick in the dirt.

We had another virtual mini meeting yesterday, with another one planned for tomorrow. That means I need to come up with another stimulating mini to create; perhaps I'll go back to making the fittings for the klompenfabriek for a change of pace. The carcass of the workshop has been taking up space on my kitchen counter for a couple of weeks, as I finished window and door fittings.

Summer arrived almost overnight here; from one day to the next, plants suddenly showed up in my garden. Last night, the hummingbirds returned to the feeder; we were afraid we might not see them this year, as the weather pattern has been so strange. A couple of apple trees have opened their blossoms, and the remainder can't be far behind. Overnight we had a nice soaking rain, which made the Carpenter in Chief very happy, as he had sowed grass seed under our small orchard (6 trees) in the bare patches we always have at the end of the year. There are robins nesting outside our bathroom window in one of the honeysuckle trellises.

We really had no Spring at all this year!

5 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so curious to see this finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that potting bench, Marijke. It's a unique design I have not seen on this side of the pond before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an incredible potting table! I love that it is a practical use type and can't wait to see how you age and finish it! And hooray for summer, birds returning and flowers! My dogwood is dreamy with incredible pink blooms this year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Certainly a One of a Kind potting table Marijke; for your One of a Kind Boutique!

    ReplyDelete