Tuesday 19 May 2020

It Doesn't Always Work Out



In between leafing the weeping willow tree, I decided to play in my scrap pile again. The first two pieces came out fairly well - they will be painted - but the food safe didn't! I worked with measurements rather than "full-size" diagrams, as I knew the copies of the working drawings would be too big.

The little door is supposed to sit inside the food safe, against the shelves; unfortunately, I made the shelves as specified, with the result that the door doesn't have enough space to fit into. That means I can't pin-hinge it. The only choices I have, I think, are to toss it in the garbage or to take it apart, cut down the shelves, make a new door, and re-assemble the whole thing. I don't know if it will be worth it, though, except that I hate to waste decent microwood, given the lack of access to decent supplies.

And I still have to put another 110 leaves on the tree.

The small item on the plinth is an egg shelf, supposed to hold a dozen eggs; I think they would have to be bantam eggs! The other item is something I remember from my childhood; over the sink in our kitchen hung an enameled shelf, green and blue in colour, with matching labelled tins to hold soft green soap, sand and soda. These were the go-to items for washing and scrubbing your pots and pans. I know we had soft soap in one of them, so we likely used that for the dishes. However, we definitely did not use sand on things, but  one of those brutal round wire scrubbing pads that you had to use to get cooked-on food out of your pots. Maybe we kept the bristle dish-washing brush in the soda can, because it did not hold soda. We used Vim scouring powder, which came in its own shaker box, rather than soda, although baking soda is still recommended today, for households that are trying to be green.

There are three more pieces to go with the kitchen pieces, but I am now wondering if they will present similar problems as the food safe. Some days turn out somewhat disappointing!

5 comments:

  1. Could you build out the front of the food safe with some 1/8 inch wood on three sides and then pin hinge the door on that little frame?

    I love how it looks. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How frustrating to do all that work with the food-safe and then not having the result you were after. It looks beautifully constructed so it would be such a shame to throw it in the bin. Can you find another use for it and build a new food-safe that looks and works how you had planned?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going to make it even better the second time! I say this to encourage you because nothing usually goes perfectly for me the first time, either! But we persevere!
    It's funny to think that pies were once so valuable that they had to be kept in a safe, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to set that one aside for a day or so and decide what to do; I'd like to make the whole set, which also included a bottle holder, plate rack and kitchen rack. But I am working from diagrams printed via computer, and they are too big; the magazine in which they appeared was much smaller.

      Delete
  4. Fix broken relationship/marriage..........


    Get back with Ex... ❤️❤️


    His result is 100% guaranteed.


    Try him and he won't fail you.


    (R.buckler11)gmail........com,,


    United States..

    ReplyDelete