Tuesday 2 June 2020

Well, That Took Longer Than Expected!



There are an even dozen of these tiny carry baskets; now they will all need to be painted, and then filled. They measure 3.2 x 2.4 cm each (1 1/4 x 7/8" ). I thought this would go quickly, but....

I cut out the handle supports, sides and ends in stacks, and of course, the stacks shifted as I cut them. All the original short sides (24 of them!) had to be discarded; I followed instructions, but they were .3 cm too short.

Drilling the holes for the crosspiece was also interesting; my pin vise does not take large drill bits, so I drilled first with a thin bit, then with my largest bit. That was followed with my 5/64th bit, which doesn't fit into the pin vise; I had to twirl that one by hand. And after that, I needed to use a needle file to ream the holes out some more. And of course, several cracked as I assembled the handles, as I was using stir sticks. Did I mention my wood supply is emptying fast?

The handles had to be shaped; I used an emery board for that, and now my arm hurts. I'm going away and eat tacos!

9 comments:

  1. But in the end they all turned out great! Have an extra taco to celebrate!!! They look great, Marijke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how they look! Perfect little carry trays. They remind me of Eliza Dolittle with her basket of violets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just discovered you blog on Pinterest looking a miniature geranium tutorial. I love your work. I'm signing on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, welcome to the blog. Thinking of taking up miniatures?

      Delete
  4. I how I can relate to production line problems! But you persevered and ended up with a dozen awesome mini baskets! And got to cheer yourself up with tacos. Sounds like a pretty good day to me! Will will always make the way...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This particular production line didn't work that well. I should have done them individually and saved time. Hah! I painted the baskets today, now I get to think about filling them.

      Delete
  5. Cuanta producción y que bonitas todas !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. An Amazingly Good assemblage of wooden utility baskets. I realize how tedious and fiddly making the same thing over and over can be but you've done a terrific job with the first stage and I can't wait to see what the next phases will bring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Get back with Ex... ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️


    Fix broken relationship/marriage..........


    His result is 100% guaranteed.


    Try him and he won't fail you.


    (R.buckler11)gmail........com,,


    United States..

    ReplyDelete