Monday 8 June 2020

Mostly, I've Been Cleaning

However, the klompenfabriek carcase has been more or less fitted together. It is still living in the workshop, as indoor work is dependent on the weather. We hope the frost has finally gone, and that the garden can get going. Today, the grass was cut for the first time this year.



It doesn't look like much right now, does it? The narrower dividing wall on the left has to be placed before I can glue in the buttresses, disassemble the whole thing and finish the walls. From left to right; a staircase with a "necessary" under it, and under the half-round window will be a small sink and grate for washing and water. The painter will work in this small space. Then the dividing wall for the workshop itself, with the functioning Dutch door near the right end. This is the area where the wooden shoes will be carved. Under the second window from the left will be a small table with a two-burner, gas cylinder powered hot plate for making tea and coffee. At the far right will be a small metal stove to keep the place warm in winter. Tools, wood, klompen in various stages will all be visible in this area.

I am sorting through all my mini materials; some of them are running quite low, and there is so much now that I've forgotten half of what is in storage. I did a lot of work yesterday; today, I went through my plastic plant-making material. I used up the last bits of an old kit for yellow daisies; they will go into my stash for making arrangements. Next up are the landscaping materials. It's going to be messy.

Tomorrow the public library will be open for five hours, I desperately need some reading material. During our self-isolation, I've re-read many books in my collection, and decided on quite a few that will be donated. It will be a while before the second-hand stores open again, so I have to make sure there are enough books to read in case we have to completely isolate again.

3 comments:

  1. What great progress! I love the windows and the plans sound exciting! Good luck at the library - it is terrible when you begin to run out of fresh books. Russ has some handy but he's a lot more into espionage than I am, lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited by this wooden shoe workshop, Marijke. I'm going to so enjoy watching it come to life! I know what you mean about the books - except that I use my Kobo to either buy books from Chapters or download from our local library. That way I know I never have to be without new reading material. Life without books would be a terrible thing! - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks wonderful so far!

    And I would be lost without my ability to read on my phone. I'm able to download books thankfully.

    ReplyDelete