Thursday 25 June 2020

I'm Going Cross-Eyed

The last several days have been packed with non-mini things, which means I am not much further along with making accessories to fill the blue shelf unit - which, by the way, I am unable to find. I seem to have put it somewhere so safe that I have no memory of it....



The Lego block is there to give an idea of the scale at which I'm working. The vintage toaster probably has enough paint that I can continue to finish the details of it, like the handles, lever, feet and cord and plug. The coffee grinder is giving me grief; I fear the wood I used for it is the crappy stuff from Michael's. The drawer has been rebuilt three times and the knob will not glue in place, so I am going to stain it and then super-glue that knob! (And hope that staining it will not cause it to swell and reject that darn little drawer!)

The design for the coffee mill is from a Dutch mini magazine, and I kept thinking there was something wrong with it. I finally figured out what that was this morning; the construction has the dome on top with the flat side down! In a real coffee grinder, the domed part is where the grinder 's crank handle is, and it is open to allow one to put in the coffee beans. The ground beans are then accessed through the little drawer. Hah! It was designed by a man....

The metal part is part of a cheap earring, with a hole punched through the bottom. I'll glue a spacer bead under it, and then string the crank handle and shaft on a head pin through the hole and the spacer. As the wood is so thin, I think I'll make the crank handle from sturdy cardboard, the kind you find on the backs of notepads. Painted it should look like metal - I hope!

I also hope to make a vintage breadbox from the tutorial in 1" Minis by Kris. It is made of mat board and cardboard, and should be another interesting challenge.

4 comments:

  1. Con paciencia seguro que conseguirás que se pegue.
    Te han quedado genial !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that toaster, Marijke. I think I need one for the employee lunch room at the North Pole Postal Service! I know the coffee grinder will work out perfectly under your expert crafting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That toaster is so cute! And I know the coffee grinder will be wonderful.

    I'm also somewhat reassured to hear that I'm not the only one who puts things 'safely' away and then can't find them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I bought a package of teeny silver stickers. I had them in my hand two days ago! Do you think I can remember where I "safely"put them? They were going on the appliances as brands...
      The last few days growing old has been annoying!

      Delete