Thursday 11 June 2020

The Cupboard is Done...

...except for a coat of beeswax. I chose a light grey chalk paint, over the distressed finish, then sanded in wear. Once the wear was good - I didn't want to overdo it - I used artist's pastels to darken all those areas that see lots of use, or perhaps are difficult to reach into to clean properly.



I am very pleased with this look; it will set off pastel shabby chic, natural wood and vintage accessories quite nicely! Now I get to play with tiny things to give the cupboard a lived-in look.

The three drawers for the last part of the old kitchen pieces are made, and all the other pieces are cut. I am still wobbling about the colour for that, especially as it's supposed to get painted decorations.

Today was a pajama day for me; I woke up several times overnight, then slept way past my usual getting-up time. That sort of threw off the whole day. It didn't help that it is dark and overcast again. However, hope is there as I have Siberian iris in deep purple with splashes of white, as well as pale lavender German Iris, happily growing in my garden. It is so nice to see some colour!

7 comments:

  1. So pretty! Love the effect of pastels. Looks like an old cupboard in a farmhouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila. I am finding some neat vintage pieces I can make to dress these shelves. And I think I have to purchase more of that wonderful chalk paint! Sage green, cream, that sort of thing.

      Delete
  2. Looks great, Marijke. Don't forget - if you have a colour you really like in your ordinary paints you can make your own chalk paint. Mix some plaster of paris with equal parts of water then mix in as much as you need to get the effect you want. I can hardly wait to see everything all dressed up! - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The aging is perfect and I can't wait to see the whole set together!
    Pajama days are awesome but these gray skies have got to go! Seriously thinking about a move to Arizona or New Mexico where there are over 300 days of sunshine each year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have family on Vancouver Island, Jodi, and I feel your pain!

      Delete
  4. Me encanta como ha quedado el color !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colour came straight out of a bottle, Eloisa, a single coat of the paint. (The undercoat is dark oak.) It is a blue-gray, not as blue as in the photo.

      Delete