Saturday 14 September 2019

Another Experiment, and Lessons Learned



The experiment in this case was making a "zinc" tub or pail to hold a floral arrangement. In the process, I "invented" a method of making wire look like miniature twigs, by using paint, tea leaf dust, glue, and tiny (and I do mean tiny!) bits of model railroad foliage.

Also, while working on a previous arrangement, I decided to experiment with bits of cut punch-out fern leaves, to create a substitute for reindeer moss; natural materials tend to deteriorate with age and then the arrangement is spoiled. Some of my very early floral or garden settings using some dried, natural materials are, sadly, disintegrating due to the dry air in our winter-heated house.

I picked up a set of inexpensive, fine-pointed colouring markers a year or so ago, and I find that with shading from colour pencils, they are nice to add some depth to paper flowers.

The tub was cut from manila file folder using a reduced bucket pattern, with an applied rim top and bottom. I also added a length of buttonhole thread to add textural interest below the upper rim, but I don't know whether it shows. I will use this general idea again for arrangements for my flower shop.

Now, if only I could find my sheet of miniature ladybugs, I could finish off another floral piece! I really have too much stuff....

4 comments:

  1. I think that your zinc tub is a Great choice for your twigs, ferns and garden flowers.
    The pansies turned out so pretty, and your twigs look just like the Real Thing too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying some more flowers, too; maybe the onset of autumn has me thinking of (gasp) winter....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three messages in an alphabet and language I am not familiar with and could not translate have been removed from the comments. I apologize if they were legitimate, but unless I am aware of what is being said, I can't let the messages remain. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete