Wednesday 3 March 2021

Working on the Workshop Stove

We were unable to get together for our virtual meeting last week, but we are having two meetings this week. Today's meeting was another virtual one, and I did a little more work on the workshop, assembling a more convincing stove and a brick platform for it to stand on.



The actual stove is a pencil sharpener, in pot metal, with a sort of bronze-brown finish. First of all, I had to take the little conical cap off the pipe at the back; this has been replaced by a new pipe made from a bendy drinking straw, a piece of dowel to reinforce both the long pipe and the curved top, strips of manila file folder for the joins, and eventually a washer for the fitting in the wall. The flashing on the stove's lid was removed with files and an emery board. The stove will stand on a brick base, to make it more fireproof.

Now I have to wait for all the various glues to dry; I used the pot metal, a plastic straw, card, and wooden dowel, so several kinds of glue were used. The one that takes the longest to cure is the metal glue to re-glue the bent pipe from the back of the little stove on to the stove again; it broke off when the cone was being sawed off. Then I get to paint it; right now, spray paint seems the best way to do it, but it is very cold here and I can't spray paint in the house; I may have to make a spray booth out of a cardboard box, and use the storage area in the basement....

When this is all dry, I can test-fit it into the wooden shoe workshop, to see where it is best placed; I kind of want it in the centre of the right side wall, but it may interfere with the space needed for all the shoe-carving equipment. I also have to mark its position on the wall, before I put the paper clay stucco on.

We are having a rare face-to-face meeting this Friday, weather permitting, as we are currently in a favourable phase with regard to the pandemic. I am not sure what I will manage to get done that day, as we are sharing some of our supplies to continue work on our various projects. Those will be dug out tomorrow, ready for my fellow miniaturists to check out.

 

7 comments:

  1. Very clever! It's going to look perfectly at home in the shoe shop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's going to look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you both. Next step is sealer, and when that is dry, I can mark and make the stucco wall! Yay!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for hosting on Friday, Marijke. It was SO nice to manage an actual in-person session. Skype is great but to get together is such a treat. I was so pleased to see your work on the wooden shoe factory in person. It is looking great. I can hardly wait to see its next steps. - Marilyn D., New Brunswick, Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always a pleasure to have face-to-face time with my mini friends!

      Delete
  4. I take my hat off to you. That is a great looking stove! I can see a pot of coffee simmering on that while the klompenmaker is working away on some wood to turn it into clogs.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're also getting a two-burner hot plate, for coffee and tea.
      The little stove is supposed to add warmth, when the hard work of carving klompen isn't enough....

      Delete