Friday 12 March 2021

Trash to Treasure Challenge Episode 2

 Fortune favoured me today, as I found the absolutely perfect piece of felt, as well as the perfect piece of scrap-booking paper, at my local hobby store. I needed these for the "box" in which the project can be placed. The box itself was a broken affair made of foam core, with a couple of seriously bent corners. But, I managed to do a work-around, and I am really pleased with it.


The other side of this foam core is black; I think it was a left-over piece from an Art College project of my daughter's. One corner was totally bashed, so I cut it off. I liked that! So I decided to cut off the other less dented corner as well. Better. Hmm, might as well be consistent, off came the front corner. And I love the result. There is another dent in the back corner on the outside, but fortunately it doesn't show!


And here is the box with the perfect piece of scrap-booking paper on the "walls", and the absolutely perfect piece of mottled grey-beige felt on the floor for the carpet. Looking good, but I had to trim out the edges, which exposed the inside, roughly cut, of the foam core.


The foam core is only 3/16" (about 4 mm) thick, so as I haven't used much of my card stock as yet, I decided to trim out the edges. Now it looks, dare I say it, like a wooden corner vignette! I just love the effect of the weathered and painted bricks, perfect for my "vision" of this T2T project.

While looking through my pin supply to fix a bead knob to my "silver" box, I found an old pin with a ball head; the pins in this box were inherited from my mother, and came from The Netherlands many  years ago. The department store they came from was boarded up the last time I visited my old home town. Anyway, the pin with the ball head was the sort that used to come in men's clothing from department stores, and it is the perfect size for the box knob, with the added advantage of not having to have a pin put through it; the head of a plain pin would have been kind of visible. I only use these plain pins for miniatures; my sewing pins have glass or plastic heads, so they are easier to find on the floor. (The Carpenter-in-Chief swears that any dropped pins are bound to end up in his feet.)


Love it! We are allowed 6 pins, and I have used only one so far....

I want to make a couple of pieces of furniture, but as I can only use a 6" square of foam core and I have already used some tiny scraps to make books, I have to really think  how to tackle this. As well, if I upholster, I have to do it with a 6" square of fabric; I will experiment with a used dryer sheet, to see if I can get enough fabric out of such a piece to use as upholstery. If only I could find a decent spray can top for another piece of furniture for this project....








6 comments:

  1. I love the shape of the corner box! So interesting, and it's a perfect example of making what you have work for you! You're off to a great start and being so inspired is the best mini place to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, I am really, really pleased with that box, as it turned out. This is a fun challenge; you could also do it, Jodi!

      Delete
  2. I love how the box turned out, Marijke! The look of old, weathered bricks will be a great foil for whatever ends up being displayed there. This is a quick, fun little project, isn't it? I think we should all do one on an annual basis just to get ourselves into a different way of thinking and realign our streams of creative thinking. - Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, we do have the market stalls to go, don't we? Do you want to come up with a T2T project? (More creative thinking!)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, Sheila! It was serendipity, everything just came together in terms of my vision, and more importantly, the availability of the perfect piece of felt and of scrap booking paper to achieve the desired colour palette. Now onwards!

      Delete