Wednesday 28 October 2020

Back to the Klompenfabriek (Wooden Shoe Workshop)

 It's been a couple of insane weeks, with so much happening that miniatures have had to take a back seat for a while. We were unable to get together for our weekly on-line mini meetings, but I have been working, although not as much as I had hoped.


This is a head-on shot of the klompenfabriek as it is is now, with the buttresses still leaning against the outer walls below the windows. When the base was screwed onto the walls, the floors became uneven back there, not uncommon with MDF, which is the Carpenter-in-Chief's dolls' house building material of choice. The stringers for the stair are in the stairway space, and the wall along the side of the stairs has been cut, doorway and all This will also be the bathroom for the workshop, so I have to seal-coat and then paint both sides of the left wall white, make the door to fit, install the privy box, and then place the stairs.


The gap between the buttresses on the left is for this half wall; this is the workshop side, partially filled in with individually shaped wooden planks. The original design had house siding, i.e. overlapping boards here, but I felt that a small workshop would more likely purchase inexpensive rough planks to cover the walls. Above this planking, the wall will be "stucco", better known as paper clay....


On the hall side, this wall is completely planked. I used dollar store craft sticks, as I wanted the walls to look rough and not fancy. They will be stained in oak; as that paint is oil-based, I will have to do the work outside in the workshop, as I really dislike the smell of oil-based paints in the house.

The smaller buttress against the back wall, between the half wall and the privy door, will have a small sink and a bricked grid to stand on; that is the next part of the work to be done. (I have to make both the sink and the grid.)

The interior walls will be paper clay stucco, with bricks showing through here and there. The working Dutch door is in need of muntins in the window, and I admit to being worried that I will get glue on the perspex windows....

The floor is supposed to be "dirt", and will likely also be made of paper clay. I hope that Das/Prang clay is still available in the stores; there are constant shortages of hobby materials due to the pandemic, I am told. I have some clay, but not enough for the whole building.

Hopefully, I can make the time to do some more work on this project in the next week or so, in between knitting, making Christmas gifts (they need to be mailed mid-November) and all the normal things life tends to throw at us from time to time!





2 comments:

  1. I love the colors you've chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know what the postage would be but if you need DAS (white), I have 6 packages of it - just pay for postage.
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete