Saturday 18 July 2020

Sometimes, Mess Occurs!



The last few days, I've been involved in photographing and writing up my completed Camp MiniHaHa projects for the past 17 years, for a blog the camp has begun to help us cope with no actual camp this year due to Covid-19.

This was the only completed project still to be photographed. The last time it went on display somewhere, some (!) damage occurred, and it turned out a bit more extensive than I thought. The only thing that didn't get messed up at that display was the"glass" portion of the street lamp; I think our cat was responsible for that disappearing. However, I continue to hold out hope that I will find that missing centre one of these days, if only my memory would kick in and tell me where the heck I put it the last time I saw it.

When I made the two bookshelves at the left, I had a hard time getting them to fit within the confines of the space in the altered books. Well, I have admitted again and again that I am straight-line challenged, and in sanding them - manually, with a piece of sandpaper around a block - the ends were somewhat rounded. Access to the box interior is by removing the back wall; the shelves stand against that back wall. I hate to glue anything down permanently, and the hundred or more books in this setting may just have to be stuck together  to keep them on those shelves. But I will try sticking them on shelf-sized slices of acetate first; if they fall out, they will fall out as a unit and not as individual books, I hope!

The first solution (I'd love for it to be the permanent one!) is to glue a solid wooden plinth under each shelf, to even things out. The shelves are, however, tall and top-heavy, so I suspect more support will have to be found. Already repaired are the front window, and a very tiny delicate book stand, that lost one of its  wee supports.

 Perhaps I should consider a system where I can slide the entire shelf on a support that is part of the back wall, books and all. Oh well, here's to experimentation!

4 comments:

  1. I think you can do this! From one straight line challenged person to another, you'll figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To glue or not to glue... That is always the question for us miniaturists. But there is a limit to how many times I am willing to pick up knocked over minis, especially if they are super fiddly to get back into place. I have had pretty good luck with using a blow dryer to loosen the glue to remove things. Most times there is very little damage, of any, so glue isn't as scary as it seems. Good luck either way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first started miniatures a few years back, I tried using temporary solutions to sticking things down. However, I have since decided that it is rare for me to need to move things and now I glue down everything possible. I may regret it at some point in the future but I figure I can cross that bridge if or when I come to it! Good luck! - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea of a bookstore inside the full-size altered books and I think that illustrated spines are FAB!
    I think that affixing the books to the acetate is a good idea too especially if you ever want to rearrange them later as removing items stuck to a plastic sheet is a lot easier than when they are glued to wood.

    ReplyDelete