Saturday 11 March 2017

Of Brackets, Buckets and Beams


I had hoped to have the shelf and beams installed today, but as usually happens, things got in the way. The buckets are ready to fill with flowers, once the glue holding the weight in the bottoms dries up. I'll push a piece of floral foam in to keep the flower stems in place. In order to keep paper buckets from constantly falling over, it is a good idea to give them a little heft; I use split shot from the fishing department for that.

The little brackets are picture framing, cut and painted, and will hold up the shelf all along the back of the flower shop. The beams were going to run perpendicular to the wide edges, but it was since decided by the C-in-C that across would be better, so new ones were prepared. They are intended to hold up the plexiglass insert to allow light into the shop, as well as a place I can put hooks to hang things from.

The brackets under the display window are in place; just a few more things to go, and the shop building portion will be done. There are already lots of things to fill it, but some furniture is needed to hold it all.

Today, just to give myself some more work, I thought it might be fun to have a small variety of window displays ready to insert, for different times of the year. As we are heading towards Easter, I think I'll check my German and Dutch mini magazines for ideas to dress the window for that holiday. There could be a display for Christmas, and another for Autumn, as well as a summer one. I think if I stick the pieces to transparent plastic, it will be very easy to swap one season for another; also, small displays won't require that much storage space.

1 comment:

  1. Love the flower buckets, Marijke. They really do look like galvanized metal. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed box. - Marilyn D., Oromocto, NB, Canada

    ReplyDelete