Wednesday 23 September 2020

Loft Project Radiator


The last two Wednesday virtual mini meetings I was able to attend, I worked on the radiator for the Loft Project apartment. This is the result, finished during our session today; it will be spray-painted a nice ivory enamel colour, to counter all the darker, autumnal colours I hope to use in this project.


The radiator is made of paired, glued craft sticks with decorative ends made from inexpensive wooden fan blades; I had a lot of those, as they were what the spiral stairs were supposed to be made of. (I still haven't completely given up on the stairs, but am  weighing my options there.)

The craft sticks were drilled to take a piece of brass wire to thread them together, and the horizontal "pipes" are flat round wooden spacer beads cannibalised from an old necklace. Two brass, knurled beads cover the upper ends of the wire. The "pipes" are made of plastic kit waste, which I actually managed to drill with my pin vice, to take the ends of the wires that hold the radiator fins together. The faucet is made of sewing pin bits and beads, again drilled in place on the plastic waste pipes. I did not drill through my finger tips, but admit that I did poke my finger with my awl blade....

Knitting is going on; one and a half socks, three knitted slippers, and half a mitten are on the go right now. There are also some partially finished, small knitting projects left over from pre-Covid, that I fully intend to finish (i.e., my intentions are good, we'll have to see if I achieve them!)



 

9 comments:

  1. VERY Clever! Your radiator looks great and I look forward to seeing it again after its painted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh... I have a bunch of those fan blades... I really need to try a radiator like this. It's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you all for your kind comments! I have more than just a "bunch", like half a shoe-box full of wooden fan blades. They make good lampshades, plant table bases, waste paper baskets and the like too!

      Delete
  4. wow, great project. I will have to add this to my bucket list. Great photos too, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just what the apartment needed. It looks great! Who offers the virtual meetings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three of us locally try to get together via Skype once a week; when allowed, we try for a single face-to-face meeting a month.

      Delete