Monday 1 May 2023

The Little Desert Garden in Progress


It's not quite 7:30 a.m. on a very gloomy and windy day, Hello First of May!  I woke up early and decided I might as well use the extra hours, as I've got my knitting group this morning to attend. I hope to finish a lavender, purple and black hat I started with odds and ends of left-over donated yarns.

The space on my work tables is getting to be less and less, with all kinds of projects to be done for this weekend; the Moncton Miniature and Doll Show on May 6. The photo above is of the desert garden being "auditioned" with  placement of the plants. Two of the four fence posts are in place, there is a piece of wire ready to become the rusty fence wire, and desert-y rocks are being pushed around to see where they would best fit. I will probably have to make some more flowers to fill this small space (3 1/2 x 3 3/4" or 9 x 10 cm). Three of the edges will have wood trim, while the fourth will be an open edge. The foundation for the creeping phlox is already in place.

Although it may not be complete for the show, it will be very close to it; I'd like to run a piece of bougainvillea vine along the fence wire, and perhaps some deep purple-blue morning glories along one of the posts. However, they will likely have to be done once the show is over. 

Now, if only I could find a tiny scale lizard or perhaps a longhorn skull; maybe at the show? And can I turn styrofoam bubbles into a convincing cactus? Stay tuned!

 

1 comment:

  1. being focussed with a lot of unfinished projects going on is something I know only too well. I just found an unfinished piece from a workshop I followed in 2018! High time to finish that!

    The desert garden will look stunning when finished. Good luck hunting of a lizard or a longhorn skull at the show!

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete