Wednesday 3 February 2021

What Happens If You Don't Think

This morning, I tested the long slanted roof section of the wooden shoe factory, after having finally glued in the buttresses and the toilet block. The roof section wouldn't fit! Scratching my head, I decided I didn't think ahead well enough; the thickness of the paper clay stucco on the hallway wall took up a good 1/8" of space (approx. 3 mm) . Not a huge measurement in the common run of things, but it makes a big difference in 1/12th scale!

Scary! I had to trim back the finished stucco, and hope I didn't chip things too badly. It is all to the better that I discovered this now, as I will have to do the same thing in the corner of the workshop, and it would have been a lot more difficult to chip away in that confined space. The dividing wall hasn't been glued in place yet, as I still have to do the "clay" floors. It was, therefore, fairly easy to lay it flat on my worktable and slice and sand away.



Lots of dust mess, minimal chipping of the rest of the wall(whew!), and now it fits. But, I wasn't thinking ahead again, and I knocked two of the little coat pegs out of the other side of the wall. Sigh! Now I will put those back in place, which involves Superglue, and that item and I do not have a good working relationship....




5 comments:

  1. ARghhh! I've lost count of how many times this has happened to me! Glad to see that you came up with a solution in time. I usually have glue everywhere before I'm done.

    Good luck with the Superglue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I managed to glue the pegs in without sticking myself to the wood but one of them pinged somewhere in the room, so I ended up cleaning up my work area - I did actually find the 1/4" peg in the mess on my work surface!

      Delete
  2. Just the other day I realised that on the first decorated wall of the dressingroom I started, I had forgotten to take in account the thickness of the ajoining wall. So I know just how you feel!

    Good luck with the superglue!

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wait, I read in your comment that you already glued everything in place. Right on!

      Delete
    2. I am now trying to think if I thought the door placement out correctly, as I am paper-claying the walls. I did leave a slot for the door frame, but think I have to remove the slanted beam to slide the door assembly in place. Oh well, live and learn!

      Delete