Friday 12 February 2021

The Back Wall Is In Place!


OK. I haven't been posting that much, because I will admit it took some courage to tackle this large back wall of the wooden shoe factory. However, after doing the right back corner section, I realized it would be much easier to do all the rest at once, and I decided today was the day.

It didn't take as long as I feared it would; I worked in 10 cm (4") wide sections from floor to slanted beam, and it looks as if it just might work. There is some unevenness where the sections join, but I can likely sand that into shape and use paint to sort the rest. The dividing wall slots nicely into place in the space left for it; I used a scrap  piece of wood during the stuccoing process to keep it clear of the paper clay.

Now that that wall is done - well, except for painting and aging - I can decide where to place my little pot-belly stove, which warms the workshop on cold days. I have a metal pencil sharpener stove for this purpose, but think it should really stand on a brick base, rather than right on the tamped "clay" floor. I also have to decide where to place it; the original has it in the right back corner, but I think it would warm the space better if it was in the centre of the side wall. 

The stove requires piping, and that involves cutting off the metal top in order to add a section to go into the wall. It will also require a fitting on the wall, which I will have to work around when I put the paper clay stucco on that wall. I can't do the floor until I have the walls in place, but I can probably place the windows and the door. That should make it look much closer to finishing!

I am going to assemble two magnolia bushes destined for the planters of the flower shop this afternoon, provided the stink of burning plastic disappears! It looks like the built-in vacuum cleaner has just died...


2 comments:

  1. It looks great! I'm sorry about your vacuum cleaner. I hope its repairable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming along so nicely, Marijke. You're getting closer and closer to the most fun part - adding all the accessories that will truly bring it to life! Thanks for sharing. - Marilyn D., New Brunswick, Canada

    ReplyDelete