Thursday 21 January 2021

This Might Become a Two-Burner Hot Plate


Well, our part of the world is back into "extreme danger" or Red Phase as far as Covid-19 is concerned, and I am very grateful that I have the computer and Skype to get together with my mini friends. We met up yesterday afternoon, with Louise working on extending her farmhouse and Marilyn working on a secret project; I decided to try and produce an antique-looking two-burner hot plate for the wooden shoe workshop.

It is built, like so much these days, from bits rescued from the scrap pile. The basic build has worked out as I had hoped, except that I should have made the thing a little taller in order to add knobs at the front; as it is, the knobs will have to go on the corner squares.

If you click on the photo, it should enlarge; this would allow you to see better that the base of the hot plate has a trim of button-hole thread. The whole construction, except for the burners, will be painted in an as yet undecided colour, and then I hope to pick out the thread trim with some gold Treasure Wax. Old appliances were often quite fancifully decorated.

The two floral-shaped bead caps are intended to become the bottoms of the knobs, with a bead of some sort on top of that. A few months ago, I found a treasure trove of jewelry findings in a charity shop, and I now have enough bits to last me several lifetimes! There are some small knurled knobs, which are actually bead spacers, that will make ideal knobs for the little hot plate.

I am still deciding what would work best as the burners themselves; the female part of a large snap fastener, or the male part. Either way, I will have to go to the sewing store for that, and most if not all shops are currently closed....

 

1 comment:

  1. Marijke: My first thought is the smaller part of the snap fastener looks to be a more appropriate size. Either way, I know it will look perfect when you're through with it. - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete