Thursday 7 January 2021

Klompenfabriek Update

As our province went back to the orange phase - no visitors, no travel, single family only - rules this week, due to the spike in Covid infections following Christmas, we had to cancel our planned in-person get-together this week. More is yet to come, as another huge spike is expected post-New Year's gatherings. However, we did meet electronically, and I did manage to get a little more done on my wooden shoe factory. It is so much easier to work on projects when you can bounce ideas off your mini friends in real time!



I am very wary of pin-hinging, but I bit the bullet and finished the bathroom door, installing a working swivel door lock and handle, a tiny nail at an angle for the newspaper toilet paper (not visible, as it is on the back of the door), and painting the hall side of the door green. Then I (gulp!) drilled into the top and bottom of the door, as well as the top of the stairway wall and the base of the floor. My dry-wall compound "clay" floor had extended a little too far, so the clay had to be cut back; as well, it was necessary to sand just a little off the slanted roof edge with the reeds. Now it all pretty much fits; there is a tiny space at either side of the buttress (the white block with the slanted top), but that can be neatly masked with the paper clay stucco that will cover it.

I gave the bathroom a duck board in front of the box, as the floor is supposed to be clay and I didn't want the users of the privy to get wet, muddy feet....

Another thing I managed to drill and put into place is the tiny slanted white shelf on the workshop side of the hall wall; it has two holes for some of the tools used in the workshop, which I still have to make. This little shelf was to be placed at a slant, so I chamfered the wall edge, again (gulp!) drilled two tiny holes into the edge of the wood, inserted cut-down sewing pins, and then glued and pinned this shelf to the wall; just gluing the joint didn't seem very sturdy to me! Another successful drilling operation, thank heaven. I am, after all, straight-line challenged and fully expected my drilling to go off at an angle and wreck door and shelf. I will confess, however, that I initially drilled the holes for the tiny shelf on the wrong side of the wall....


Here is the current overview of the room box. Now I have to make a small sink and janitor sink, put the stucco on the walls, and the drywall compound on the floor. I also made up three sections of exposed brick that I will insert into the wall stucco, which is paper clay. Once everything is dry and painted, I can then add a few tiny painted cracks in the walls. After all, this is a workshop with sections of tree trunk and some rather alarming tools being shunted about, right and left, so cracks and flaking stucco have to be expected over time, right?





 

No comments:

Post a Comment