Friday 15 January 2021

Goodbye, Little Sink!


....and hello, janitor's sink! I made this today. This is my 500th post!

So yesterday afternoon I discovered that two more years' worth of Dolls House Nederland had been added to their on-line, free archive; 2016 and 2017. I made a cup of tea, and sat down to a little break from designing a baby doll's hat in knitting. And there, in Issue #139, I discovered a photograph of the original (I think) wooden shoe workshop, now in a miniature museum in The Netherlands. The photo is not all that large, but it showed me the brick janitor's sink complete with iron grid, at the end of the hallway. No sink, just a faucet, with the bucket under it on the grid.

The bricks are poor! Painted plaster, which comes off all too easily. I had tried to make a sink like this before, but it now resides at the bottom of my garbage can. For this one, I mixed up a sort of mortar from dry wall compound (for fixing holes in walls), white glue, gray and ochre paint, and applied it with a small metal spatula. It isn't perfect, a bit rough around the edges, but better than the previous effort by a long chalk!

Now I can drill a hole for the faucet in the buttress, and start rolling out the paper clay stucco. Once that is dry and painted, the dry wall compound floor can go in. Then it is on to the main part of the workshop. It was a good day....with snow, of course!

 

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful and timely find, Marijke! This looks like it will be so much more authentic-looking than the white porcelain wall sink. Everything is coming along so nicely. The end product will be fabulous, I'm sure. - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will be so much fun to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to find a picture of this project just when you needed it! I think the rustic sink is perfect! I am enjoying the education and information about each new piece you work on! I love history and enjoy the realism some people strive for! Keep up the wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete