Saturday 27 January 2018

Some More Flowers

The cat was very helpful while I was making these! The individual flowers for the geraniums are made with a 3/32" (approx. 2.5 mm) punch-out, each of which is individually shaped. Then I put them in a small plastic container, until I am ready to glue them on to their bases. The cat's tail swept the container over and sent the tiny blossoms everywhere....



A couple of paper poinsettias were also put together; I had begun them a week ago during a mini afternoon. Two were put together that day, as one of my friends had commissioned them, so then I had to make some more of course to add to my stock for shows.

When not knocking over my tiny blossoms, the cat rubbed against the Advent project; as it is made of builder's foam, and is thus extremely light, it was a constant battle to not glue the flowers to my work surface, while protecting the vignette from the cat's affections. I only have two arms! The Carpenter-in-Chief suggested locking the cat in our bedroom,a place she is constantly attempting to sneak into.

Speaking of the Carpenter-in-Chief, he is studying the front panel of my Tudor apothecary to see how best to fix the doorpost that broke off when the panel fell. It is MDF, and will likely require a wooden support glued to the inside to keep the doorpost in place. The structure is mostly finished, just needs a base and the hinge that allows the two buildings that make up the piece to open and close. My CiC decided an apothecary needed a garden in which to cultivate healing plants, and I have started those.
But the buildings need to be on their base before I can add the garden on the side. It will have a removable wall on the front, flower beds and walks, and fruit trees which I hope to espalier along the walls. The walls will be brick, which means lots of paper clay work.

Now, in the absence of instructions for how to make a miniature amaryllis, I am going to begin on a lady's mantle plant, destined for the apothecary garden. My herb book tells me these were used medicinally both internally and externally. As the plant is rather invasive, I think I will plant my mini version in a tub to prevent it taking over the apothecary garden....

4 comments:

  1. How EXCITING!!! I LOVE miniature gardens and yours will be loads of fun to observe as it "grows" :)
    And I can attest to Lady's Mantle vigorous lifecycle. I began my garden with a tiny cutting transplanted from my old garden and from that, over the course of 15 years, the plant has TAKEN OVER EVERYTHING! Several years ago, I'd already reached the stage of hauling it out in handfuls and mercilessly chucking it into the waste bin.
    It IS a Delicate Beauty when in full bloom in the early summer, but a hostile Garden THUG, the rest of the year.
    Be that as it may, I am Really looking forward to seeing your "Ain't Misbehavin" Lady's Mantle mini version. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a nice little wooden tub ready to accept my lady's mantle!
    I have sweet woodruff in my real life garden, and it has similar bad habits....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Preciosas!! Estoy deseando ver tus nuevas flores.
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete