Sunday 28 January 2018

About That Lady's Mantle Plant....



It's going to take more than two days to make this plant! In the small square of floral foam at the left, are 16 sections of the finished plant; each contains 15 leaves in 3 sizes. That's 240 leaves, each of which had to be trimmed from flower heads (cut out a segment) and geranium leaves (cut off the little stem). The bud branches also have acid yellow buds made of sand, that has had to be painted as I don't have yellow sand in that colour.

In the larger block of floral foam on the right, are an uncounted number of flower buds made of tiny sections of stiffened sewing thread, again dipped in glue, then sand, and then each has to be individually painted. This is probably less than half of the flower buds needed for this plant. My lemon yellow paint is drying out, so I have to pull out gobs of it and then thin it a bit with a drop or two of water. Once that is done, I have to add just enough leaf green to get that acid shade of yellow.

To make the flower heads I have to glue 12 to 14 teeny bits of sewing thread with sand to a single stem; in all, 16 stems are needed - again, close to 240 little thread and sand buds. Are you convinced that miniature flower makers are crazy?

The design for the lady's mantle plant is from Danish miniaturist, Mette S. Laurendz. She published about four tutorials in older issues of Dolls House and Miniature Scene; this plant is from the September 2013 issue. She also sells her PDF designs via her Etsy shop, as well as finished plants and other miniatures.

I will persevere....

3 comments:

  1. Tienes mucho trabajo por delante para terminar esa bella planta,pero seguro que vale la pena!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's devotion! I applaud your tenacity! I have only made a few plants.... but I have so many I want to try! Lady's Mantle would not be the starter plant! LOl! I look forward to seeing the completed results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are making great progress, can't wait to see your Lady's Mantle when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete