Follow by Email

Friday, 24 February 2017

Sometimes Stuff Breaks....

The gate to the Japanese vignette is finally finished, but it apparently fell onto the Japanese maple tree. While showing that one off recently, we discovered one of the tiny branches had snapped. I needed that branch to bring shape to the tree, so I thought and thought and came up with a way to fix it that I think worked very nicely:



In my stash of stuff I have a spool of very fine wire, vintage stuff likely used when people were doing wired bead flowers or something. I wound a length of it around a thick tapestry needle, making a coil, then glued the coil onto the branch stump. Then I glued the broken portion into the top of the coil, and glued on some leaves to hide the repair. It is the right-hand branch at the top that was repaired, but the repair is nearly invisible.

In rescuing the tree, I managed to catch my rather large ring on one of the slats over the window in the vignette, and of course it snapped off.  That repair was somewhat easier:



Yes, the vignette is on its side! Only a few pieces of the gravel I had glued down a couple of weeks ago came loose, so I guess they're fairly firmly in place. The can and glue bottle are acting as the weights. I am going upstairs to eat lunch, so I don't fiddle with my repairs....

2 comments:

  1. Bueno,un pequeño desastre que has sabido arreglar magistralmente!!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Marijke - I'm so glad I'm not the only one to have these issues - fix one thing, break another!! It would be so funny if it wasn't so exasperating!!! You did a great job on that tree repair. You can't even tell! - Marilyn D., Oromocto, NB, Canada

    ReplyDelete