Saturday 25 May 2024

Didn't Have a Lot of Time Yesterday or Today

 However, I did manage to paint the front and the door to the shed vignette. I managed to put on the base coat Friday. I see this shed as once having been a lovely blue, but the sun, rain and winter have all taken their toll. Blue fades very typically on houses here, and I'm pleased with how the base coat turned out.


I used a mix of white, Cape Cod Blue, a touch of Prussian Blue, and some Jade to get this particular shade. For the aging, I used burnt umber, white and Seminole green. Some careful sanding is also still needed for extra wear.

The door, door frame and window frame were painted with aging chalk paint (I added water) in a shade of beige called Primitive, again to get that impression of an old building badly in need of a fresh coat of paint.The foundation strip is faux-painted in a dirty cement colour. I was purposefully careless with the paint work, as this shed has been around and has been repainted before, and not by professionals!


Saturday morning was the annual plant sale of our local botanical society, so that took up part of my morning. I picked up a variety of flowering plants to add to my garden. I also spend two hours every Saturday at our local multi-cultural facility, in a learn-to-knit and practice conversation in English at the same time. Great fun with ladies and girls from all over the world. I used various shades and a very dry brush to further age the building, but I think it still needs a  bit of antiquing gel to bring out the board and batten of the siding. 

Next up will be carving a handle for the door, and making a two-over two window to go into the currently empty space, as well as adding a doorstep. Once that is done and the door is hinged in place, I can glue the false back into place and begin on the roof overhang and the dirt patch in front. Then comes the fun of "set dressing"; I hope to add a wild grape vine (they grow all over our area), a potted plant or two, tools and a bench for a well-earned rest, and landscaping etc.

And I'm still enjoying the project....

No comments:

Post a Comment