Tuesday 14 May 2024

Back At It


 My stock has been pleasantly depleted by the sales at the recent new miniature show, and I thought I'd better get going at creating some new pieces. In the process, I rediscovered some pieces I never did finish, and they are now going to get done, before summer hits and I don't sit indoors all that much. Right now, we are in blackfly season....

It had been my hope that the blue runner in the foreground would be an easy piece to work, but I'm finding my eyes wandering between the swirls of the border design; the centre of the piece was much easier! But if I tackle it slowly, it should work. The two long ends of this piece will be hemmed, while the two short ends will get a fringe.

The small, multi-coloured piece at left is a fire screen insert, cross-stitch on 22 ct Hardanger fabric. I don't really like cross-stitch at this small scale, so I'll try doing it on 22 or 24 ct canvas in petit-point. The bell-pull is out of scale, more suited to fashion dolls than 1/12th, so it likely won't be finished. However, I do like the cushion, as the colours "speak" very nicely to one another. The really small piece is an experiment, doing a sampler in 1/24th scale; I'll have to see what it looks like framed. The motto in the upper left is ready to be mounted and framed.

And then there are the House of Miniatures vintage kits, which I'd really love to provide with needlepoint upholstery. That will mean, in the case of the chairs, likely having to do the same design four times, which could become rather boring. We'll see! I've also pulled out some designs for plants and wooden pieces which I've long wanted to try out, plus I also want to finish at least one or two of my far too many UFO's (unfinished pieces).

No comments:

Post a Comment