Wednesday 25 October 2023

The Directions Aren't Always Correct!


 As I had mentioned earlier, when I started this project, we're working from a series of articles in Nutshell News published in 1992. I said in my previous post that I'd make another set of evaporating pans, as the first set didn't fit on the sugaring fireplace. Well, the second set was also too long....

Out came my ruler, and after measuring, two or three times, the drawings from which I was supposed to take measurements, the diagrams for the fireplace and the pans did not exactly work out size ways....

My resolution was to add a row of stones to the end of the fireplace, which made everything fit just right! A bucket is awaiting some more faux painting, and I did manage to make a scoop out of card and a decorative toothpick; all it needs is some painting. I've also got to make a sieve and a wooden paddle scoop, as well as a skimmer. I may have to use heavy aluminum foil for the latter, as it needs holes as well as a shallow, dished profile, but I'll experiment with card at first.

The sledge is stained, and the Medieval Market offered up one of its large barrels. I kind of want another barrel, though, as well as another pail. My first experiment for the sap bucket didn't work out as well as I'd hoped, so I'll try another approach on Friday. Tomorrow I work.


2 comments:

  1. Finding out that things are not working like they should could be really frustrating. Lucky for you, you are an experienced miniaturist who knows how to see solutions! All the accessories are fabulous! This is going to be such a thorough and interesting representation of the art of collecting tree sap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Accuracy of drawings is so important. Especially when, like in miniatures, every milimeter can be essential for a good fit. I like your solution though. Perhaps you can still use the old pans, stacked up in the background somewhere. perhaps pitted with rust, being old discarded pans?

    ReplyDelete