Wednesday 21 June 2023

Rose Hips, Rosebuds, Leaves and a Rosebush Skeleton


Before I began making flowers etc., I thought I'd better make a skeleton for the rose bush for the corner garden vignette. This is just a beginning, smaller side branches have to be added, But it was necessary to get an idea of how many (too many!) flowers and leaves, etc., would be needed.

The lovely wooden barrel the bush is growing out of is an old English Leather after-shave bottle top, that my father saved for me and which has been around for probably around 20 years or so! I think if some hoops are added, it will look more like a barrel.


Kind of a bird's eye view, but what you see here is a beginning on the leaves for the rosebush, along with the start of rosebuds and rose hips - these are the green ones, the bodies of the orange ones, made of layers of glue on wire, are still drying. It is a lot of work, but I hope it will look like the original vision I had of this little project.

Now I have to research where I can order a tiny heart punch to make the leaves for the roses....



 

7 comments:

  1. Your bush is starting to take shape and looks good! I am wrestling with the construction of my ancient Rhododendron shrub. The "trunk" is old and twisted... the transitions to smaller branches are challenging! I see you are using florist tape of some kind? I will try that! Keep up the wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lower edges of the side branches are bent at a right angle, and that is glued to the main trunks. Once that is dry, a narrow strip of florist tape is wrapped around them. The smaller branches will be attached with glue and very thin fuse or jewelry wire. That should hold it! Leaves and flowers will cover a multitude of attachment points....

      Delete
  2. A real labor of love! Have fun! This is going to be so inspirational!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And also a Cake-kitty! <3 The scene is shaping up nicely, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the barrel a lot. The rose bush looks daunting to make, but you can undoubtedly do it! I love the cat in the background shadow. It gives the garden fignette something of a jungle vibe. Tigers lurking in the shadows...

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is Cake the cat, who always needs to be right in the middle of whatever her humans are doing!

      Delete