Tuesday 7 February 2023

Winter Makes Me Want to Make Flowers

It seems that when it is cold and snowy outside, I decide I have to make flowers. The YouTube videos by Cathy Brickner are calling out to me, so today I made some more of them.



I had made the Indian Paintbush yesterday, and begun the pieces for the Indian Blanket Flower and the Texas Bluebonnets. Today I finished them, and I am quite pleased with them. It seems to me that the technique Cathy B. uses to make her bluebonnets can also be used very effectively for hyacinths, so I plan to try those once I finish the desert flowers. As you can see, the Rain Lilies made previously have now got their leaves, using the same painted paper I also use for Dusty Miller plants.


The Blanket Flower is a bit pale for my taste; we have these growing in our Eastern Woodlands garden under the name Gaillardia, and the yellow is rather brigher, I think. In the background are the Wine Cup Poppy Mallows (I probably remembered that wrong!), waiting for their centres; I'm trying out another idea as I didn't have all that much luck painting fake snow....


A closer look at the Indian Paintbrush, Rain Lilies and Pink Evening Primrose; all of these have been made with stuff I had on hand, but I do need to acquire a large snowflake and a large daisy punch, as they are frequently used to create the foliage.

I'm (mostly) having fun....





 

2 comments:

  1. I understand the wish for making flowers in winter. In this way you bring an early spring into your home when outside a bleak winter stil reigns. The flowers you have made look absolutely lovely!

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am currently working on a yucca tree, and have actually finished a lantana plant; photos to come! We still have a great deal of snow here....

      Delete