Thursday 21 October 2021

A Few Things for the Christmas Stall


It's not all that much, but I did make a few little things yesterday afternoon during our mini get-together; a crate of pine cones, and one of moss balls, as well as some tinsel packages. It is slow going; however, the shops here are started to sell Christmas items, which means I have to go into town at least once a week to see what I can use of the new arrivals in making minis. I need to go down the trail behind my house and pick some more alder cones.

Today I picked up another box of laser-cut mini ornaments. I already have one, but there were a lot of small pieces that can be used in miniature, as standing decor items. Also, Louise had pointed out to me a set of three very fine bead chains, that will fit very nicely on a miniature Christmas wreath or garland. A few more cut-outs are waiting to be assembled, as well as some tiny wooden and beaded figurines in the making.


And what is this, you might wonder? I had shown Marilyn a companion piece to the wooden shoe workshop, a candle workshop from the same historical era. The workshops are two of a series in the Dutch magazine, Poppenhuizen en Miniaturen, that ran in 1999. I have only two of these, the klompenmakerij and the candle factory. They were all designed to fit into the same basic room box, just individually designed; the very first one was a school. 

This is a table that held the dipped, paired candles to allow them to harden. It is in a new state, as I would likely age the piece when (or if!) I get an opportunity to build that room box as well. I had another birthday this week, and this is my birthday gift from Marilyn. The rods are removable, and fit across the beams which are also removable. (The candle factory photo in the magazine is very dark and dreary-looking, as it likely would have been.) The tray is also loose. But I MUST finish the many projects I currently have on the go first!

The floor of the market stall has been painted; beige with cream and pale green spatters. The shelves have been cut, and will soon be installed, but I need the Carpenter-in-Chief's assistance with the shelves and screwing the MDF building together. In the meantime, I can make shop stock.



 

7 comments:

  1. It's so much fun to treasure hunt for mini things, whether in our own backyards or the seasonal goodies from the local five and dime! I didn't know about Alder Cones, so I looked them up. I'll keep my eyes out for them next time Russ and I hike around Mt. Rainier. There are so many Alders there they named a lake after them! Have fun with the projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of "swampy" areas around here in the north woods, Jodi, that's the best place to find them. They're a bit fragile, so I paint them with sealer before I put them in a mini, while they're still on the stem. Marilyn uses cedar cones from her back yard.

      Delete
  2. The bead aisle is like a drug... Need to stay away if I want to keep my money. But the Christmas pieces are always so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny story: "moss balls" to me means the kind of algae balls people can buy for their aquariums. ;D And because a bunch of those imported to Alberta earlier this year were contaminated with invasive zebra and/or quagga mussels, I associate moss balls with "bad!" They had to recall all the moss balls so that zebra and quagga mussels wouldn't get into Alberta waterways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops! I guarantee that mine are totally safe. {A bead, some model railroad foliage, and glue ;o)}

      Delete
  4. I love to see the collection of christmas miniatures grow. I want to do something with christmas in mini too this year.

    The candle factory sounds very promising indeed! I happen to have a pdf file of a book binders workshop in a Zaans Huisje. It comes from Poppenhuizen en miniaturen in 1998. Probably an earlier installment of the 1999 klompenmakerij and kaarsenmakerij? I'll send it to you by email if you want it.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the plans for the bookbinder's workshop, Huibrecht.
      I just happen to have the full-size plans for a Zaans Huisje. And it is a fairly small project, so should be do-able.

      Delete