Thursday 10 June 2021

Just When You Think You're On Your Way!



Well, I did finish the hot plate and propane tank, although I still need to dirty up the tank, as it looks far too new right now.  A few rusty spots and a nice brass label ought to improve that situation.

However - the door won't fit, apparently the frame is now a little too wide for the buttress wall. That means I have to sand the paper clay sides down until the door fits. I had hoped to carefully insert the door from the top of the wall, but....somehow, it won't come off any more! I removed the screws holding it in place, and can only assume that I allowed the wood glue for the paper clay wall to get under the wood of the fake slanted roof wall. Sigh! Or perhaps it is the paper clay that caused the problem. Oh well, back to the drawing board....

I've also managed to mislay/lose one of the half-round window plexiglass pieces, despite being oh-so-careful in storing them in their original packages. The Carpenter-in-Chief says it is probably on my work table or in that general area somewhere, but I despair just a little: my garbage can is a bit  too close, and the garbage went to the dump already. I might be able to cut a new plexiglass window, as I do have a circle cutter. I hope I still have lots of thin plexiglass to experiment with.

The tea kettle could also stand a little evidence of use, and I should probably add an enamel-ware coffee pot. Other than that, the outside of the room box has been painted, the roof panel has been cut, and when I have had a good cup of tea I'll attempt to transfer the beam layout to the roof. Then I can get all gluey putting broom straw in place.

Someday, I will finish this project!



 

3 comments:

  1. I love how this wall is coming together! The aging will give nice authenticity to the overall story!
    It does always seem in spite of careful work and planning that opportunities to overcome obstacles present themselves. But that also gives us the great sense of accomplishment, knowing we used our brains, creativity and experience, at the end of the project. I hope these challenges are easy enough to fix and that you enjoy the process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now Marijke, where would the fun be if all went smoothly!? Ha ha - we can all relate, trust me! - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It starts developing character already. I hope you find the missing piece of glass.

    ReplyDelete