Friday 11 June 2021

Doors and Windows Fit! Finally...


It took a whole day, but the door finally fits as it is supposed to. We still can't figure out what the problem was, aside from the paper clay that wrapped the sides of the buttresses, but even with that gone, the door would only go in on a slant, top to bottom. The sides of the door were shaved just a little, but the threshold kept moving, making it near impossible to make the thing go into the prepared opening in a straight, proper manner. Then it suddenly fit....

The door will be framed on the back of the room box with plain painted boards, as that side is not likely to be visible. I hope that the door will stay closed when the box is picked up, and if not, I'll have to fix a barrier across the back. The last thing I want is for the door to break if I ever get to display at a show again.

The window "glass" is still missing, so I'm going to try to cut a new one from plexiglass, using a circle cutter I acquired years ago, primarily for cardboard. I'm hoping that scoring the half circle will make it possible to knock the half-round window pane out with a  minimum of trouble. The windows all have arches for the back side, although another one has snapped; that will be glued up overnight. They tend to break at the base of the arch, on the grain of the wood.

That blank wall on the left is crying for some of the tools to be hung up; perhaps I'll hammer in some tiny nails tomorrow. I say hammer in, but in fact I drill the holes and then glue the nails in with a tacky glue/super glue double dip. The ones I put in months ago have stayed put so far.



 

3 comments:

  1. You must have had a mischievous sprite messing with you and your door! Then it got bored of frustrating you (or maybe Cake ate it) and that's why the door suddenly fit. ;)

    It's looking really good, Mom! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it had otherwise been rather frustrating! Now I get to cut a new half-round window!

      Delete
  2. I love that door and the windows, Marijke. And the colour is perfect. - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete