Monday 17 February 2020

More Work in Progress



Thank you. blog commentators, the Carpenter-in-Chief went cider shopping yesterday (Sunday) for a dish he was making, and came home with a jar of gel stain for me. It is rather more golden than my favourite Ipswich Pine, but it will do beautifully for the undercoat of my miniature "antiques". The tray is supposed to be black with flowers, so it is sitting around until I get to painting again.

On my storage shelf is a basket with "unfinished kits" - so I hauled that out yesterday, with a view to finally completing these things, emptying another box, and perhaps having some more items for sale.



So we have a trellis (I foresee a morning glory vine!), a planter, a "cat butt" bird house, and a bathroom shelf (which is upside down - the round bar is a towel rail. More painting in my futute!



I am particularly proud of this peculiar item; it is, in fact, a very early form of adjustable lighting. The design showed up at my volunteer job (I do museum accessioning) in one of the reference books I was checking. It is an adjustable candle stand; the holes allow one to move the shelf to four different heights, depending on where you are working. A peg through the hole holds the shelf in place. The candle cups in the original were removable, by pushing up  the peg under them. You could thus move your light from this unit to a pierced shelf in another space, pop the candle and peg into that hole, and there you are, one candle in use at a time (or two!). The original post was round, but I just can't drill holes into something as thin as a skewer or toothpick, so my post is a narrow plank. This, once it is painted, will go into my Tudor apothecary workshop.



This peculiar item is a birch twig fairy bed I started many years ago, at least 10. I decided to try and finish it, just to be able to say I did. The headboard is done, the footboard still needs some gluing, and then I can add the bed base. Perhaps this will become a flower bed..... (for those who have never seen one of these, people here sometimes use an old metal bed frame and plant flowers in it, for out of doors).

In between, I am doing some cross-stitch and some knitting, while trying to whittle down my stash of stuff - I'd have to live to 150 to be able to use it all up, so away it goes!


8 comments:

  1. I LOVE that adjustable candle stand, Marijke. I've never seen anything like it. So cool. Our ancestors were very adept at making items to serve their needs. We should probably take a lesson from them! - Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stain looks warm and lovely! Cab't wait to see what you decide with the fairy bed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Entertaining and Productive endeavours each of which turned out So Well, but Oh My Goodness what a task of trying to use up all of your stash, but I get your drift! ;D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely adore the adjustable candle stick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes at least three of us, Megan. It is now painted rusty red, and awaiting some antiquing gel. It already has a home.

      Delete
  5. I Love the adjustable candle stick! That is such a wonderful piece of living history! We lose this information when the need is gone.... Any older mini build could benefit from a candle-stand like this! Thank you for sharing the details of the design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had to make the candlestick when I saw the sketch of it! It is so easy; a post in a block, holes in the post, a little shelf with a cut-out, and a pair of candle cups with handles underneath that fit into holes on the little shelf. Easy!

      Delete
  6. Get back with Ex... ❤️


    Fix broken relationship/marriage..........


    His result is 100% guaranteed.


    Try him and he won't fail you.


    (R.buckler11)gmail..............com,,


    United States..

    ReplyDelete