Saturday 2 March 2019

Not a Good Week

First of all, we are buried in snow; see photos below. I took them from my front steps this evening, to show the amount that we are dealing with right now. It is only the beginning of March, and we have at least six more weeks of winter to go. They are already indicating that we may have another record flood this year, based on the snow pack.




 Photo one is from the front door to the garage. Our apple trees are once again buried well above the trunks. Photo two is the drift pile in front of the kitchen window; this window is at my eye level when I work at the kitchen sink. To get into the house, we go up three steps. So, I estimate this pile is about a meter and half or higher. We had some very heavy winds for two days this past week, so there was a lot of drifting! Photo 3 is out to the road; we are running out of space to dump snow, and there is more coming tonight....



I turned in an odd way last Sunday, resulting in a serious back spasm. It is almost back to normal, but lengthy periods of standing are painful. So I didn't get as much done this week as I had hoped. Today, I did manage to stain the second floor of my steam punk loft project. As the wood used was very rough, there was a lot of hand sanding involved, and my back is complaining! The little chair is for the Remembrance Day project, it will be painted and then rubbed back for wear and aged and dirtied.
The only other thing I managed to finish is to paint a sheet of paper for the leaves for the poppies in the Remembrance Day project.

There is a real beauty to winter, but at this time of year there is also a desire for it to just go away, already!




3 comments:

  1. Here in Vancouver B.C. we have had our share of snow as well and just as the cherry blossoms were beginning a very early bloom! The heavy snowfalls followed by morning thaws and then the freezing winds at night, made the roads and sidewalks rather slippery for a while, but happily most of the snow appears to be on its way OUT!
    Very sorry to hear about your back spasm and the pain. That along with those smothering piles of old and future snow definitely qualifies as "Not a Good Week." :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had some suicidal daffodils that bloomed right before we dropped to freezing temperatures again. This happens every year. My flowers are just stupid.

    I'm so sorry your back is bothering you. No shoveling snow for you. Rest and stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brother and sister live on Vancouver Island - they have also been heavily hit by snow. It really is beautiful, but I must admit I love being able to look at it from my warm house! Suicidal daffodils? Ours are unlikely to show for another two months! Strength, Canadians!

    ReplyDelete