Sunday 11 August 2024

The Autumn Vignette So Far....


 The vine has been re-leafed, and I do like this better. The apple basket has been aged (outside only, as it will be "filled"). At the outset of this project, I stated that I hoped to make as much as possible myself, mostly out of cardboard and the like, just to prove that anything can just about become something else. 

So far, the structure is 1/4" (1 cm) foam core, doubled for the floor. The wall and door are made of packaging cardboard over foam-core scraps; the window and door frame are more cardboard.  The apple basket is made from an old school binder divider and a bit of wire. The birdhouse is a shaped scrap of 1/2" square basswood, with a roof from a bit of moss ribbon. The vine leaves are painted paper, in 4 different sizes, each shaped individually. The window glass is a piece of packaging plastic, while the box of fertiliser  (I think!) in the window is a scrap of wood and a cut-out from a gardening magazine. The stone doorstep is a strip of builder's foam, while the grey basket is a painted plastic bottle cap. 

The tools and watering can are commercially made, from my stash. And the shingles are left-overs from a very old project, each shingle cut in half to look more to scale, while the door-handle is a bit of carved and painted wood. The weathered bench is a left-over kit from a course I taught pre-Covid,while the trunk of the vine is made of floral wire and floral tape. It still needs to be "planted" on the base.

I was able to find a very simple, warm brown wooden picture frame, which the box will be set into. At the moment, I'm working out how to make a woven basket from file folder cardboard, a bit of a challenge although I do think I have instructions somewhere in my (far too many) magazine stash. 

I'm still looking for beads for the grapes, but if I can't find the right colour this week, I'll make up a batch of polymer clay grape bunches to hang on the vine, with some tiny tendrils made from fuse wire wrapped over a sewing needle.

It's coming along! And the weather has cooled, although that may be temporary; we were in the tail end of tropical storm Debbie here. And much to my chagrin, the trees are beginning to change colour and the birds are flocking. Winter is coming but not for a couple of months, I hope!

3 comments:

  1. It is coming along quite well! The vine does look more realistic. And the weathered basket too! It is remarkable how much can be done with scraps of "stuff"! I am always reminding myself that cardboard is essentially wood fiber board.... as is paper! I use a lot of it myself when I think I can get away with it! Yes, the seasons are changing.... your Fall vignette will be just right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Made freshly dug potatoes and apples yesterday, with grapes next on the agenda. I am enjoying this little project! It's good to challenge ourselves with card and paper in our hobby.

      Delete