Thursday 18 January 2024

A New Camera, and Some Things to Show


 I'm not a woodcarver, but over the weekend I carved a paddle - complete with (cardboard) reinforcement strip on the back, a pair of wedges and an axe for the maple sugaring diorama. I also began work on the large copper kettle which will rest against a stump in the background of the scene, but took the photos with a new-to-me very fancy camera, and my old camera is unable to "read" the pictures I took.

The new camera is a bit of a learning curve, in that it is very slim, apparently has the ability to work with a higher number of pixels, and does not have a port for a cable - apparently, it is WiFi and we have to figure out how to make that work. The photo I took of the freshly-draped paper clay kettle is currently unavailable, but I did take a photo of the dried and trimmed version with my old camera.



The next step is to seal the inside and outside of the dried paper clay shell, and when that is dry I can faux-finish it to look like worn copper. The inside is unlikely to show in the final project, so I'll use that to test my finishes on. I still have to make the "ears" and the bail handle of the kettle, as well as figure out how to make it look like it has a rolled top. (I used a small preserving jar for the shape.)

Weather permitting, Marilyn and I'll be meeting up tomorrow to work on the scenery; I have some items for that to find/put together as well. Hopefully, there'll be some more photos to show you. If and when I can figure out how to download from the new camera, I'll post a photo of the wet clay draped on its form....

No comments:

Post a Comment