Wednesday 8 November 2023

Fatigue and a Carrying Chest


Yesterday, I had my Covid booster, and I'm feeling very tired, an expected side effect. However, I did manage to finish a six-board chest, painted in barn red, (still needs its rope handles, though!), for my maple sugar workers to carry their gear in. I managed to create a passable sieve, used to remove bark bits etc. from the raw sap, so that is two more items for the diorama.

 We've had two overcast days, with rain constantly - although I'm not complaining, as it could have been snow - which means I've not yet been out in the garden to retrieve some firewood branches and tree stumps. They'll be in scale, of course, one large stump for chopping the logs for the fire, and two small ones for the workers to sit on. They can use the chest as a table to hold their tea and meals, as it is several days' work to boil the sap down into syrup. I also need to make lids for the syrup buckets, and then I have to create spiles. 

As I don't work tomorrow, since my bosses at my volunteer job are at a three-day conference, and will try to make some items for the diorama then. Hopefully, I'll be less tired. My first attempt at a tea kettle didn't work out that well, so I'll try that again. The lid ended up being too small to stay on top of the kettle....

1 comment:

  1. Dear Marijke, I hope the fatigue will wear off soon, so you can back to the things you love and do. Your diorama has taught me a lot already about how maple syrup was won from the trees. To think that this was the only way to get maple syrup for centuries. Tough labour.

    ReplyDelete