Sunday 15 August 2021

Miniature Embroidery Things to Think About

I thought it might be interesting to do just a short post about miniature embroidery. I've always enjoyed embroidery, and when I began to make miniatures, a quarter century ago now, naturally I wanted to use this craft in my miniature settings also. I learned to do needlepoint in Grade 2, at an all-girls' school in The Netherlands taught by nuns. We began knitting in Grade 1, making underwear and then a dress for our dolls, and the next year embroidery was introduced.

The three little Serendipity rugs or mats I made recently were made without a pattern, i.e. I just used left-over threads and created the "design" as I went along. This is a rapid way of making miniature mats, rugs or carpets. However, working a complex design from a pattern is a whole another story!


This is a miniature version of an actual Persian carpet, from the Mazlaghan region, near the city of Hamadan in western Iran. It is a twentieth century design, so not antique. I've always loved the   colours in this rug, which you also see in the RAF tartan; light slate blue, dark red, light grey and navy blue, with small accents of a mid-brown colour. The pattern comes from a book by Meik and Ian McNaughton, entitled Making Miniature Oriental Rugs & Carpets (Guild of Master Craftsman Publication Ltd. in 1998.)

I began this rug on Friday; it is now early Sunday evening, and as you can see, I haven't really got a lot done. The rug will measure 6 1/4 x 4" (162 x 99 mm) when finished, worked with two strands of cotton floss on 24 ct. canvas, that is, 676 sts per square inch. And I learned something when I started this; the graph in the book is not that large, and I was seeing double; therefore, I decided to head into town on Saturday to get an enlarged photocopy made. However, I am still seeing double.

I  need to get new glasses, again; I went from being nearsighted, a couple of years ago, to becoming far-sighted, but now my prescription is not working. I realize that print has become blurry, as has the type  on the computer. So tomorrow I'll make an appointment with my optometrist. In the meantime, I can work for an hour or so before the blurriness gets bad. As I love this little rug, I will get it finished!

Until I get the wood for the stairs in my wooden shoe factory, that project is at a temporary stand-still; there was none in the right size to be had in town, but I will try again this coming week. 



3 comments:

  1. It's going to be a beautiful rug! I know I'd enjoy the stitching and progressing, too, but the thought of buying everything I'd need and going through the learning curve stops the dream in it's tracks. And have the eyesight issues! Best of luck with the new prescription, and I can't wait to see the rug progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors. It's going to be a wonderful rug I can tell already.

    Hope the new glasses help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 3 weeks until the eye exam, but will try to do what I can in the meantime. It may be easier to do a few more Serendipity-type rugs....

      Delete