Tuesday 13 April 2021

Birthday Arrangement in Miniature

 Several years ago, I received the flower arrangement below for a significant birthday from my older daughter, who comments on the blog as Lady Iolanthe. The arrangement looked like it should be do-able in miniature, so I took a good photo of it.


It has taken me at least two years to "get around" to making this arrangement in miniature, and it is intended to go into the display window of the miniature flower shop, Floriana. The last flower I had to "work out" in miniature was the goldenrod, of which there is quite a bit in this arrangement. I woke up too early this morning, and decided to give it a bit of thought. My first attempt, model railroad foliage with fine yellow sand, just didn't look right. Then I remembered that I had some fine plastic foliage, the right colour for the goldenrod base, in my stash. And here is the finished miniature:


It is a bit rounder than the original, but I think the result is pretty good! As I couldn't find my box of fishing weights, I looked in a box of washers for something to weight the tiny basket down, but nothing that would fit was heavy enough. That's when I noticed the cone-shaped chimney top I had removed from the stove in the wooden shoe factory, and that's what's in the basket; Waste Not, Want Not, I guess! It is heavy enough to give heft to the basket.

I will be making more goldenrod for the Bird of Paradise arrangement that was a gift for our recent 50th wedding anniversary, from our far-away children (no visiting, thanks Covid!) I will take a photo of how I did the goldenrod pieces, in case anyone else is crazy enough to try it....






6 comments:

  1. What a great way to keep those memories alive and visible whenever you like! The arrangement looks fabulous and yes, of course we'd like to see how the goldenrod was done! We're all miniaturists - "crazy" just goes with it, doesn't it? Big hugs! - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's beautiful! Congrats on figuring out the goldenrod!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous, Marijke! You can do anything you put your mind to and so beautifully! Congratulations on 50 years of wedded bliss! That is quite an accomplishment and one to be so proud of! Hope you get to celebrate with the family once Covid had been put behind us! 💗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments, they definitely keep me going!

      Delete
  4. How wonderful that you can keep those memories alive, not only in your heart but in miniature! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 50 years is certainly a Milestone worthy to remember! And the recreation in miniature of this flower arrangement is wonderful! Enjoy it together with all the good memories.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete