Wednesday 6 February 2019

Another Day, Another Pile of Sandbags....



The pile of sandbags has increased somewhat; there are now about 3 dozen of them, including some slightly shorter ones to go over the door lintel. Interestingly enough, the tea dyeing threw me for a bit of a loop; although I had soaked them as long as the previous batch, then baked them in the oven at low heat until they dried, this second batch is much darker on the top side. They were placed on a paper towel in a baking tray, and the bottoms of all the bags is rather lighter than the tops.

Coming up, we have a porcelain doll house figure to dress up; he has already lost his apron (he was intended to be a shopkeeper), and may lose his striped trousers for a pair of gray flannels. He will also get leather shoes and a blazer, as well as a wig and a mustache.



He will be dressed as a WW I veteran, visiting the field of battle years later, in remembrance of his fellow soldiers who did not survive. The figure will be removable from the setting, as he may only appear on Remembrance Day, November 11 in Canada. I think the addition of "real" hair and a "real" mustache will make him look more "real" - that's a lot of reals in that sentence! We had planned to keep his trousers, but I think I need to check how gentlemen dressed in the twenties and thirties; I feel they didn't wear such boldly striped trousers....

We missed our Sunday work day due to illness, and the Wednesday one due to a forgotten appointment; we are aiming for Friday now. Let's hope the weather co-operates....

4 comments:

  1. Well I doubt the sandbags would be quite uniform in color so maybe the variation will work for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, colour variation is good; I just wish I knew WHY the bottom is lighter? Perhaps the paper towel soaked up some of the tea? I like to solve mysteries....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is probably what happened.

      Also, if the doll is a veteran returning to the battlefield as an old man (he looks old to me, with his white eyebrows), should he maybe be wearing pants from the 1960s? If he was in his late teens or early twenties in WW I, he'd be in his 60s in the 1960s.

      Delete
  3. He may well end up in a pair of gray flannels and a blazer. They are sort of timeless. He will have a pair of leather shoes, and will likely carry a natty cane.

    ReplyDelete