Friday 24 December 2021

Merry Christmas 2021



No, I did not get it finished! I have tried, but it is very difficult to find enough time for some of the very time-consuming tasks left to do. I have got the garland that will go around the front and sides of the market stall ready to install; that is one of the tasks, part of which included figuring out how best to attach the garland to the building, and yet allow it to be removed if necessary. 

It is my hope that the posts on the four corners will also be lit; I do have another string of lights for this purpose. However, first the posts have to be stained, and then I have to stick them in place and re-do the cobbles at their bases. They look rather tall right now, but they will go down into the base and then be about as high as the roof. 

I still have to come up with a name....

The shops open up again on Tuesday, but I think I'd better wait a day or two before going shopping for supplies: snow paint, masking tape, Christmas trees,. and matte outdoor varnish. With the supply difficulties the stores are experiencing, I will likely have to give several hours to this task.


The time-consuming task I'm currently working on is the installation of the rustic shingle roof; these are being cut, individually, from large dolls' house shingles that I had dyed in walnut stain some time ago. By varying the amount of time the shingles spent in the stain, I got a nice variety of colours. I can glue down three rows and then I have to let the glue dry, otherwise everything slips out of alignment on the roof. That has been, and continues to be, today's task. I was going to use a corrugated plastic roof sheet I picked up at least 20 years ago, but it was too short to fit....

I wish you and your loved ones a Very Merry Christmas, and I hope Santa brings you minis!






 

6 comments:

  1. It's still so lovely! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all caught up now, Marijke!!! I love your idea of the four corner poles strung with lights and your roof shingles and cobbles look fantastic. I will be back working on mine today and look forward to the three of us having them all together in 2022! Cheers! - Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Marijke,

    I am a bit late to wish you merry Christmas, but I do hope you and your family have had a great Christmas weekend despite the special times we live in. And may 2022 bring you nothing but good, health and happyness!

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I will try to think positively for 2022! We haven't seen two of our children for 3 or 4 years now; the third child got "stuck" with us for a month as she arrived the day before flights were cancelled in 2019....
      Gelukkig Nieuwjaar!

      Delete
    2. Jullie ook een gelukkig Nieuwjaar!

      Delete