Sunday 18 July 2021

There's Glue Everywhere!


Those of who who work with tacky glues know that that stuff gets everywhere! I decided to keep a damp sponge handy while gluing the first row of "straw" down onto my roof. As you can see, you can only work a very small section at a time - the area with the white glue - and you have to hold it down as you wait for the glue to work. To speed things up, I decided to use the extra thick, extra quick stuff.

Yes, it works, but you also glue your fingers to the straw, very quickly. So then you wash them on your sponge, and you go back to holding on to your straw. As the broom straw is NOT straight or flat, it tends to want to move and/or stick to itself as you manoeuvre it into place, which is apparently easier when being manipulated by damp fingers....

I will try to do one row a day, at least! Once the stuff is really dry, I can trim it to fit the beam, using a very sharp scalpel blade to get a clean cut. Then it is on to fitting the next beam, trimming if necessary where it sits on the slanted beam, and gluing it into place. It needs an hour or more to really dry well.

This will obviously take a while, but I am determined!

 

4 comments:

  1. It's looking great, so far, and the finished results will be so worth the effort! I kind of like taking a break every now and then to peel the glue of stuff. Puts me in a zen space for some weird reason. I say enjoy the glue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh glue everywhere... I am so familiar with that!

    I do like how the straw is looking so far though. It'll be worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tee hee hee! I'm sorry Marijke but, when I read this the first time I didn't have my glasses on and when I got to the end of your post I thought you said "...but I am demented". I thought perhaps the first row had already sent you around the bend! Now that I read it again with my glasses on I see where I made my mistake. Either way - demented or determined, it will look fantastic when finished! - Big hugs! - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Demented" is perhaps a little more on the mark than I intended?

      Delete