Tuesday 27 July 2021

The Last Straw....

 ....went in this afternoon and the roof is now fully "reeded".



The slot for the half wall fits perfectly, and now all that has to happen is for the beam to be glued into place. (I held it in place with a finger for the photo below.)


I had to bend down at a very odd angle to take this photo of the reeded roof! Anyone who wants to see it when the room box is completed will have to be able to bend, or use a mirror. It seems a little silly to do all this work, when it will be pretty much invisible. However, like the fully beamed ceilings in my Tudor Merchant's house, I will know that I actually made the ceilings look real!

There is very little left over from the corn whisk that provided the reeds. I was a little concerned that there wouldn't be enough pre-cut reeds to finish the last row. The Carpenter-in-Chief actually went to his workshop and brought out the corn whisk he inherited from his father's workshop - it comes with a holder for the wall - and said if I needed it, I could have a few pieces of his corn whisk, but that he didn't want me to completely cut it up....

Fortunately, it was not necessary to cut anything out of his whisk, but it was a very kind offer!

Next up, the stairs and the lighting. I will need help with both of those!




9 comments:

  1. It's perfect, Marijke! And so worth the effort because it looks absolutely charming in the shop! I'm glad you had enough reeds and patience to make it happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jodi. I've been thinking this might work with long pine needles too, if someone wanted an antiquated building of some sort. I like the effect, but don't know if I want to do it again! I'm glad it's done....

      Delete
  2. Wow Marijke it looks fabulous! Your efforts have certainly paid off. I don't think it is silly at all to do things property even if they a little out of sight. It is that attention to detail that makes it so special.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you both! Doing 8 rows of reeds became progressively easier as I went along, until the last row when I had a lot of very thin pieces but not too many heavier ones. But it worked!

      Delete
  4. It looks wonderful! I know the feeling of needing things to be real. Ceilings are so often overlooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there might be crazy people like me out there, who will bend into weird contortions to check out tiny ceilings!

      Delete
  5. Hello Marijke,

    The roof looks great! what a difference the ceiling makes to the whole. It was quite an undertaking but totaly worth it.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Huibrecht! Hope your move is going well and that you have a vacation to look ahead to.

      Delete