Sunday 4 April 2021

Happy Easter!


Nothing like tooting your own horn! My Easter card to you is a photo of the spring plants in my Floriana flower shop, as there is an Easter arrangement in the window. And the other pastel spring flowers will hopefully give those of us in less moderate climates a small foretaste of what is to come.

The snow here is nearly melted, and we are waiting for the usual spring floods; there is an ice jam at a dam up-river, which so far has affected a community down-river from us only. For those of you who are new to this blog, I live near the Saint John river, in New Brunswick, Canada. This is a huge river by Canadian standards, and also forms part of the border between us and the USA. Every year, this river floods its banks, as it is the major and only real watershed on this side of the St. Lawrence River; it can go up more than 6 meters in the spring. Last year we had very serious flooding, but the forecast this year is that it will be less, as we have had a very mild winter. I live well above the river, and do not have to worry about flooding here, although it can affect the way I travel into the city.

As the weather has switched from sunny and warm to cold and wet almost every other day or so, I am behind on my spray painting, which I prefer to do out of doors because of paint fumes. The little stove for the wooden shoe workshop has had its first coat, but definitely needs another in some places. The radiator for the loft project is now sprayed, although I would like to give it another coat. I have to wait for the temperature to go above 10 degrees Celsius to be able to paint out of doors, and it can't be damp....

In the meantime, I am attempting to create some flowers for a couple of Real Life floral arrangements I am reproducing in miniature, for the other displays of the flower shop. Eventually, I hope to be able to change out the window for each of the four seasons, and have some plants ready to go for each of those, but each window needs a spectacular display, as a focal point. I am attempting to create miniature goldenrod flowers, which feature in both of the arrangements I am trying to reproduce, but it is hard going and quite, quite messy...

I hope the Easter Bunny was good to you; we have mini eggs, Ferrero eggs, and peanut butter and chocolate Easter treats here.

 

5 comments:

  1. Marijke - that arrangement of spring flowers is simply too beautiful for words. And, there is no way you would be able to tell they are not real life-sized items if you were not told. Your work is always so perfectly done! I love it! Big hugs! - Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilyn. My DIL is using the photo as her screen saver photo, I guess we all like a touch of spring!

      Delete
  2. Such a beautiful and lively start to the springtime window display! Having seasonal displays to change out sounds like a lot of fun!
    Hope the weather takes a warm turn for spray painting, and that the river indeed runs within the backs this year! Meanwhile, have fun with the arrangements - the most challenging moments lead to the most satisfying ones! Hope your Easter was happy and that you enjoyed those delicious treats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jodi. I am currently "inventing" goldenrod, carnations, day lilies and bird of paradise flowers for other arrangements; it's a lot of trial and error, but as you say, quite rewarding when you come up with something that looks real!
      I gather from my BC brother that the west coast is already cutting grass....

      Delete
  3. Looks like you're going to have the prettiest shop window in town!

    ReplyDelete